Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To Find Fashion Inspiration


It’s easy to get into a fashion rut. You’re looking in your closet, and all you see is a whole lot of blahhhh… Sometimes, you lack inspiration. It’s not that you have the wrong clothes, it’s that you need new ways to wear them.
I go through phases like this where I am A) bored with my look; B) feeling a little lazy or C) in desperate need of some new ideas. Most of the time, my urge is to just go and buy new items. This is a bad idea, folks. Fashion mavens like you and me? We rarely ever need wardrobe overhauls, because we add to our closets semi-regularly as we move throughout the year. Don’t waste your cash. Shop your closet–and let a few destinations be your inspiration sources.

1. The Sartorialist. For the love of all things fashion, please visit The Sartorialist. And regularly. I have never seen so much real, genuine, knock-out fashion as I have on that site. Scott Schuman captures the absolute best modern-day style icons–the regular kids that walk the streets of NYC, Milan, Sydney and a host of other stops around the world. So, dig through archives and search for new looks to update your wardrobe. I guarantee you, something will flick a light bulb on in your head!
2. Vintage photos. I stumbled across a box of my grandmother’s old photos last year, and spent hours admiring the fashion prowess of the early 40’s. Honestly, you will get so many ideas for sophisticated dressing from vintage snaps. The photo above is one of my favorite finds–I was totally re-lusting after my tucked-away polka-dot dress, and pulling out my tie-up wedges, after seeing this picture!
3. Harper’s Bazaar. I read a lot of magazines but, for fashion, no one covers it as completely as Bazaar. For ideas, check out the “Fabulous at Every Age” section, and if you absolutely MUST buy a little something to add to your closet, the mag always gives out a few key items for the season in “Buy, Keep, Store.”
4. The people of Starbucks… or y’ know, wherever. There’s nothin’ like a good round of people watching to give you fashion ideas. I love just grabbing a Starbucks, sitting down and seeing who walks by to get coffee. I take note of any cool outfits I see, and note any pieces they own that I also own and should probably be wearing. Another option? Pick up your drink and go for a walk in the sunshine. There are plenty of stylish people hanging around your town. You just have to look around and notice them.

No comments:

Post a Comment