Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Young Americans: William Rast Makes Its Debut

I had heard that Justin Timberlake was planning on having a design hand in a runway collection that would debut at NY Fashion Week, but it seemed like that was mentioned forever ago.  I guess all the time in between the saying and doing was great opportunity to perfect the collection that premiered last September.  William Rast–designed by Trace Ayala and Timberlake (longtime friends), who also collaborated with design duo Johan and Marcella Lindeberg.  The line has debuted two collections, one Spring, one Fall.  Both have gotten great reviews by critics and editors.  The look?  The fashionable country girl that’s come to the big city and is bold enough to rock fringe and plaids.  Tomboyish, dangerous and sexy is the concept.  And it works well with the actual designs, which consist of a lot of soft leather, denim, and soft cotton.  I really like the overall look and theme of everything, I can understand the look and idea they are going with.  The best part is that these designs are totally wearable, although I was trying to think of what they remind me of and Diesel popped into my head.  I think perhaps it’s all of the denim, leather and some of white fur trim on some of the looks.
William Rast

William Rast
William Rast
A few months ago, right before I left a second hand store I was working at for a short time, I made one last purchase just to make sure I had gotten my fill of all the obscure clothing I could ever want.  In that bunch of items, which included a black cardigan sweater, and vintage head scarf–I had picked up a white t-shirt with an interesting black, geometric design on the front.  William Rast, was on the tag and I thought I had heard of this designer before, but was unsure.  Perhaps I had seen it somewhere months ago in Nylon Magazine.  Low and behold, I see the same t-shirt on a runway model (the one in this post) while researching new designers.  Awesome!  I only paid $12 for that shirt and its on a fall runway.  I will say that the cotton is super soft and the fit is great, BUT the black geometric design–that I would say was roughly modeled after an American flag–has already begun to fade.  It’s ok, tomboy’s wear faded clothes don’t they?


No comments:

Post a Comment