Saturday, May 14, 2011

Accessories Tips: How Do You Wear Them?

I am an accessory advocate.
When it comes to extras, I’ll tell you to add the hat or put on another chain necklace. Sometimes less is more, but that is not my accessory philosophy.
I remember in my earliest style days (read: when I didn’t have much interest in fashion), accessories seemed like a serious hassle. Why on earth did I need to put earrings in or wear a necklace? The studs just irritated my ears and the strand would get tangled. They would usually end up in my pocket after a half an hour.

Now, I view accessories as the best fashion invention ever. They pull together any outfit. I pile them on daily. I cannot stop myself from shopping for them. I’m not sure there is an accessory I haven’t tried out.
Hats? Check. I’ve rocked pageboy caps, fedoras, knit beanies, sequined toppers, berets. The hat is the perfect hair accessory for fall and winter because it hides a not-so-awesome hair day. Grab your cutest cap and pull your hair into a messy, low, side-swept bun for the perfect tress remedy.
Hats have a stylish sister, too! I love headbands to add a bit of interest to a hairstyle. Try out double-banded types, ones with bows and wraps with a hint of sparkle for an alternative to basic locks. A great headband will turn heads, and that’s always an awesome feeling, right?
For winter, scarves and gloves are about to be added into the equation, and I couldn’t be more excited. Try out a plaid scarf this winter, or one in a bright hue to liven up cold-weather blacks, grays and browns. And as for gloves, you cannot go wrong with leather. I have a pair of motorcycle gloves with a bow at the wrist and another elbow-length set that I couldn’t survive without. Cozy, stylish and downright chic.
Lately, I’ve also started to embrace cocktail rings…sometimes on every finger. I love how bold they are. More than any other piece of jewelry, rings are for you to enjoy wearing because every time you look down at your hand you get to see a luxe rock or a perfect band. So, find a great ring with a huge turquoise stone, or simple silver bands to adorn every finger—something you’ll smile at when you catch a glimpse of it throughout the day.
I also love some arm candy; bracelets and watches, that is. Currently, my addiction is mixing gold and silver jewelry, and I find myself piling on bangles in combinations of five or six. Then, I add a menswear watch into the look for a bit of edge. You can’t go wrong with classics like these.
Finally, I come to my favorite accessory of all-time: necklaces. From simple strands to big beaded numbers, this is all about what you love. A necklace is such a personal piece because it’s so prominent in an outfit. For me, I feel like a million bucks while sporting mixed-metal strands. So find a style you love. Whether it is colorful gemstones, layered chains or anything in-between, if it evokes your personal flair, then it’s pure genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment